Wednesday 13 April 2011

What is a sharpener?

   "J" has just transition to the preschool area, so I wanted to observe him and find out his interests.  As I scanned all the learning spaces that were provided, I noticed "J" on the deck at the drawing table by himself.  This gave me an opportunity to build and develop a relationship with "J" because, I had not yet worked alongside him  and I knew very little of him.  I approached "J" at the drawing table and sat down alongside him and observed to see what he was drawing. I assumed he was drawing a rainbow because of the different colours he was using and the way he had  presented his picture on the paper, which was of many different coloured  half circles. I didn't feel comfortable with my assumption so I asked "J" what he was drawing ? he replied a "beautiful rainbow". With his reply, I felt relieved that my assumption of his drawing was correct.

From there I continued to observe him,  and noticed that he was having trouble adding more colours to his rainbow because the colouring pencils were blunt.  This was when I decided to intervene and support "J" in completing his picture.  I asked "J" if he would like a sharpener to sharpen the coloured pencils? he replied and said what is sharpener? instantly I explained to "J" the use of the sharpener and how it could help finish his drawing.  As I discussed the sharpener with "J" he seemed really interested in this tool, so I provided "J" with the sharpener  and showed him how to use. I than placed the sharpener in his hand and told him to have a turn sharpening one of the blunt colouring pencils he wanted to use. Smorti (1999), says technology is about helping people and solving problems" (p.5).


 Once "J" was confident with using the sharpener, he couldn't stop picking out the blunt colouring pencils out the container to sharpen. In the New Zealand Curriculum Te Whariki it states "children gain experience in using communication technologies such as crayons, paintbrushes, pencils, calculators, books and computers" (1996, p.97). The next step for "J" will be providing him with the opportunity to continue with using a sharpener by having the tool available to him and where he can access the tool anytime.  By "J"using different materials for different purposes enables him to recognise that different technologies may be used in various places and settings (MOE, 1996, p.95).  With being able to support "J" with his challenge he will now be able to support his peers by demonstrating his new skill and development.


Reference:
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te whariki "He whariki matauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa. Wellington: Learning Media.

Smorti. S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, No. 19 Autumn 1999.




3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Rose and welcome to blogging - you made it! Good to see you thinking about how something as ordinary as a pencil sharpener involves technology and can engage children in meaningful learning. In terms of the requirements for this assignment, just make sure that five people (in addition to me!) are following your work and that you are contributing to their blogs too. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose, Great to see that J could use a sharpener. Great idea to let children sharpen their own pencils. I would have to get some sharpeners for our literacy table too. The teachers usually sharpen the pencils for the children at our centre. You are so patient with J, thanks for a great story and I will ask at work if we could let children sharpen their own pencils too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rose, I liked the way you began by first building a relationship with J, then moved on to extend his activity - from colouring the rain ball to using a sharpener. And the strategy of demonstrating to J on how to use a sharpener was very effective and meaningful. The capability in supporting J’s practical problem through the use of technology, contributed to his confidence. And J gained the knowledge of identifying what solution to take, if he is encountered with a similar situation again. The two activities connected very well.

    Is J still into sharpening pencils? In relation to your reference you quoted in Te Whãriki (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 95), have you considered extending the activity to the carpentry area? For instance, encouraging J to make a small box for the pencils. In so doing, he will be exposed to other technological tools in the process. Keep it up Rose, you really built upon, and extended J’s interest in a very educative way.

    ReplyDelete